The name Tiselholt means the forest with thistles, and the farm got its name after the land on which it was built.
The first mention of Tiselholt is found in records from 1525, where the estate was owned by Kjeld Hansen. His widow, Dorothea Mikkelsdatter Akeleye, later took over the farm and brought it into her second marriage with Jakob Brockenhuus, who served as a regional judge on Funen from 1537 until his death in 1546.
Tiselholt's three-winged main building is surrounded by moats to the north, east, and south. The current main building was constructed from 1874 to 1876 and is largely a replica of the Zealand Renaissance estate Lystrup. The H-shaped main building consists of a main wing and two short cross-wing side structures with crow-stepped gables. The crow-stepped gables, a Neo-Gothic feature, are the only element that clearly distinguishes Tiselholt from Lystrup.
The original main building was located some distance west of the current estate. After the farm was burned during the Count's Feud (1534-1536), a new main building was erected on a raised platform east of the original farm's location.
The castle is not open to the public.